Showing all 2 results
Vintage whip for trunk of the firm “Swaine & Adeney”.
Vintage holly whip for trunk with signature from “SWAINE & ADENEY”. Vintage holly whip for trunk with leather handle and silver cap. L = 1,86 mts. and white kangaroo leather leash with 0.72 meter goose feather interior and braided with linen. Signature from “SWAINE & ADENEY, MAKERS TO THE QUEEN & PRINCE OF GALES, PICCADILLY, LONDON”
In the year 1750, John Ross founded a whip-making business at 238 Piccadilly, London.
James Swaine later bought this business in 1798, after being the foreman of a successful whip-making business in Holborn for some years.
After a royal appointment with His Majesty King George III and his sons, the Prince of Wales and the Duke and Duchess of York, Clarence, Kent, Cumberland, and Cambridge, Swaine Adeney’s quality reputation increased quickly.
The royal appointments were renewed in the reigns of His Majesty George IV and His Majesty William IV. In 1835, James Swaine moved his business to larger premises at 185 Piccadilly. The business continued to flourish and in 1845 Edward Swaine partnered with his nephew and Swaine Adeney was born.
Many things remain the same today in many ways, the same crafts are used to mould fine leather by hand: tools, stitching and engraving of each piece in the traditional tradition.
Swaine Adeney’s workshops in Cambridgeshire and Norfolk are (sadly) one of the last remaining UK studios in the UK to craft fine leather in this way. This is where customers can send their favourite parts in for repair, regardless of age!
In 1851, Swaine Adeney decided to display his fine products to the world at the London Exposition held at the newly built Crystal Palace. The exhibition was the largest the world has ever seen (drawing more than six million visitors to a space four times the size of St. Peter’s in Rome).
Swaine Adeney won several medals at the London Exposition, prompting the company to display their products at the 1900 Paris Exposition (which was followed by other medals). Swaine Adeney’s reputation was now growing globally, as the best producer of leather goods.
The company specialized in the manufacture of the best umbrellas, canes, whips and products
Parasol covered in beige cotton muslin with the manufacturer’s signature SWAINE & ADENEY
Parasol covered in beige cotton muslin, with fringes on the edge of its perimeter and on the tip. Inside beige silk lining. Ivory cap with a tassel. Eight metal rods topped with ivory spheres. Stem divided into two pieces, one of noble wood lacquered in white with the manufacturer’s signature “SWAINE & ADENEY. MAKERS TO THE QUEEN & PRINCE OF WALES, PICADILLY, LONDON ”makers of the queen and prince of Wales and another in ivory carved with motifs of a trunk, these pieces are divided by an engraved and chiseled silver cap. Engraved and chiseled silver grip. There are tears in the fabric. In the year 1750, John Ross founded a Whip making business at 238 Piccadilly, London W1. James Swaine later purchased this business in 1798, having for some years been foreman of a successful whip making business in Holborn. A royal appointment to His Majesty King George III and to his sons, The Prince of Wales and the Dukes of York, Clarence, Kent, Cumberland and Cambridge quickly followed and Swaine Adeney’s reputation for quality and excellence was established. The Royal appointments were renewed in the reigns of His Majesty George IV and His Majesty William IV. In the year 1835, James Swaine moved his business to larger premises at 185 Piccadilly. The business continued to flourish and in 1845 Edward Swaine took his nephew into partnership and Swaine Adeney was born. In many ways, much remains the same today, the same artisan’s crafts are used to hand-shape the fine leather goods: tooling, stitching and engraving each piece in time-honoured tradition. The Swaine Adeney workshops in Cambridgeshire and Norfolk are (alas) one of the UK’s last studios left in the UK to craft fine leather in this way. This is where customers can send their favourite pieces for repair, however old! In 1851, Swaine Adeney decided to put its fine products on show to the world at the London Exhibition held at the newly constructed Crystal Palace. The Exhibition was the largest the world had ever seen (attracting over six million visitors to a space four times the size of St. Peter’s in Rome). Swaine Adeney won several prize medals at the London Exhibition, prompting the company to show its fine goods at the Paris Exhibition of 1900 (at which further medals followed). Swaine Adeney’s reputation was now growing on a worldwide stage, as the finest producer of leather goods. The company specialised in the manufacture of the finest umbrellas, walking sticks and hunting crops.